Tuesday 8 November 2011

they're confused and confusing the masses

I was walking on campus, just enjoying the sun and the breeze and the free-flowing feel of the day at hand. And then I heard some loud voices and a group of students surrounding them. My stomach dropped and my pulse quickened. As I got closer I saw a man wearing a vest that said "Fear God" with glittery letters, holding a large sign that says "Sinners Go To Hell". Oh geez, I've seen this before. Whatever, no one pays attention to that anyways, I sure hope. It's more of a show than anything. And then another student walks up there and starts yelling things like, "Jesus is dead! God killed his own son! He raped women!" blablabla... ohhh I just got so angry and before I knew it I was stepping into the nearly empty circle, standing face to face with this ignorant, red-faced, long-haired young man. And I just said, "You know you're wrong, don't you?" and he replied with a stutter and then a stream of words that meant nothing to me, but were very very wrong about God once again. I just shook my head and said, "Hey maybe you should try reading the Bible? Just read John, maybe then it would at least clear up what it is that you're denying." He told me to read the Apocrypha before I suggest him reading the Bible, but I could tell by his eyes that something softened, something clicked, and maybe he'll actually read it. So he went on giving his little comedy sketch that involved mocking the Bible-thumpers, and whilst all of this was happening, before walking away, I just had to say it: "Hey ya'll, just to let you know: this is not Christianity." , and a few student in the audience nodded in agreement, some of them looked confused, and others just seemed to appreciate some normalcy in the chaos. So then I left with a friend, dropped a few tears, tried to stop my shaking hands and heart, and then we prayed together over it all, over everyone watching and hearing. The whole thing just broke my heart. But God is so much greater. God is so much greater. And so I just pray that the students that were there will experience God someday and will understand the difference of Him from that silly display of Christian Madness. My heart still hearts, the Holy Spirit within me hurts. But Jesus wouldn't stand out there justifying to everyone that He is the Messiah. He didn't have to. People just knew, just like I mentioned earlier about Mary falling at his feet. So if Jesus just stood there in front of that group of students and Bible-Thumpers, they would all stop, and they would all know. But He's not doing that. However, that shows just how Big and how Real and how Good our God is.

Phew, I'm still recovering.

2 comments:

  1. Rach, You're so brave. Out of that whole experience because you were willing God used you to bring what a lot of those people really needed. It is sad that everything is so misrepresented, what you did though may be the right words someone needed to hear that day. Remember God can use the greatest evil for the greatest good, God used that situation.
    :) xx
    Des

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, love reading how you walk and learn and grow with the Father, Son and Spirit. Thanks for your posts and talking about what God is speaking to you through scripture and life. Also, thank you for having the boldness to say something. Your passion and love for Jesus shines through, keep writing!

    ReplyDelete