Friday 28 October 2011

eventful

I went on a rock climbing trip this weekend to Red River Gorge.. twas quite a sweet adventure. I mostly loved the outdoors and how the outdoors loves me back: the dwelling in a tent, the hiking in the woods, the hugging of rock faces. Oh yeah, and Miguel's pizza (may not be "natural" but its still in the woods). Makes my heart swell! Not to mention the fact that we had such a fun and lovely group of students that all went. I would venture to say that we all became friends. You actually can't say that for all weekend getaways... sometimes it goes the opposite direction, where people realize that they hate people. But I realized that I love people. I really love people. I love how unique everyone is, how when they're away from their normal environments, like fraternities, student groups, books, sports, etc they become just very raw and very wonderful people. We had a lot of wonderful conversations, by which we shared meaningful stories and facts and thoughts on life and the like.



On our second day, one of the instructors fell off the rock and broke her nose pretty badly. She's okay, and everyone handled it so gracefully. In fact, I would say that it brought us closer, as most "traumatic" events often do. When you spend a lot of time in a hospital with people, you get a lot more time to chat. And so we did. And we ate at a delicious mexican restaurant in Lexington (The Local Taco!). The whole weekend was a full-on success: gained new friends, gained new confidence in my climbing, and gained the remembered knowledge that I love people, no matter who they are, because all people are just people and they always have something spectacular to give to the world around them.

1 comment:

  1. love this...i was wondering what the pics of the domesticated deer were from.

    just reminded me of a quote i wrote down last week:

    "So many people are shut up tight inside themselves like boxes, yet they would open up, unfolding quite wonderfully, if only you were interested in them."

    Sylvia Plath

    i agree...getting away from reality makes people come alive a little bit more. i love how you use the word "raw"...WORD SWOON

    ReplyDelete